Re: Gloranthan Board Games

From: donald_at_TSJb2ArQKdlwD5w18TZ4h_aqSUWqx0Hc3UhNODsWiPHZf0iXadfFkEw2LnflLgFmEBw0h
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:59:59 -0000

Howard

> I'd have:
>
> 1) Area Movement;
> 2) Cards;
> 3) Blocks or large, "meaty", counters or "pawns".
>
> Examples of recent good games:
>
> The newer crop of Block Games from Columbia Games: "Hammer of the Scots", "Crusader Rex", etc.

This is the sort of thing I'd see as replacements for Dragon Pass and Nomad Gods.

> "Game of Thrones" - one of the all-time best games I have ever played.
>
> "Arabian Nights" - note: I just know this by rep, not actual play. Some of the design
> elements are very innovative and would lend themselves well to Glorantha as they
> as more story based.

Arabian Nights barely qualifies as a board game. It's very similar to the old books (Fighting Fantasy?) where you made choices and went to different pages. The competitive element is in your character completing the quests you draw before the other players. It's well done and amusing to play a few times but between drawing cards and dice rolls it's very random. A Gloranthan version could certainly be done but I suspect the effort involved could be better spent on scenarios for HQ.

Many of the other suggestions for adapting Eurogames for Glorantha run into the problem of matching the mechanics to something that is significant in Glorantha. From what I've seen of the game design process it's better to work out what you want to do and then find the mechanics to achieve it. The result is also more likely to be publishable as it doesn't run into the same copyright issues.

--
Donald Oddy