Re: Daxdarius

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_5viaPirf9mH1HV2nOfQWuGg7eH-Ed47hmRyEeDga0mkvl48LhuYAXvDeFNUNmGYNfSp>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:39:51 +1300

On 1/6/2012 9:39 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> The thread about Daxdarius had me wondering about how different kinds of Gloranthans fight with spear and shield combinations:
Pretty much all of them.

> 1. Are Macedonian-style phalanxes armed with very long pikes and shields strapped to the shoulder pretty much the preserve of the Yelmalio cult, or do other Pelorians fight this way too?
I think the Macedonian phalanx is the Daxdarian phalanx.

> 2. Do the Men-and-a-Half use pikes as well (this was suggested in some reputable but unoffficial sources on Prax (Tales of the Reaching Moon #14- 15 and/or the Book of Drastic Resolutions on Prax iirc), or do their battle tactics and weapons owe more to Zulu warfare? Maybe they deploy a mixture of pikemen and skirmishers armed with assegais

The Men and a Half usage of pikes comes from Borderlands (ranging from 3.5 to 6 metres in length). If they have need of skirmishers, they will do what the Europeans did in North America when fighting each other: hire people who fight as skirmishers ie baboons, impalas etc.

> 3. How practical is it to combine the 2-handed spear or pike with a large shield (as in the Yelmalio write-up in Cults of Prax?), or do the Yelmalians now use a smaller shield?
It's really practical only if fighting in a phalanx. If you are by yourself, then another weapon tactic is advised.

> 4. Do many/any Lunar heavy infantry regiments combine the large shield with a 2-handed longspear, as written up in Cults of Prax or illustrated in Genertela Crucible of the Hero Wars (which features someone looking a bit like a Roman legionary with a large rectangular shield but holding their longspear with both hands)
They have regiments trained to fight in the Pelandan style, namely the Stonewall Phalanxes, ie Beryl and others. Other regiments use shorter spears.

> 6. Do any Gloranthan infantry use the very large but lightweight rectangular leather and wickerwork shield associated with the Persian Sparabara, combined with a not especially long one-handed spear?
Darjiinian troops.

> 7. Do any Gloranthan cavalry use a long two-handed lance (like a kontos)?
Carmanian and Malkioni heavy cavalry plus the Praxian tribes with the bigger steads ie Rhino, Bisons.

--Peter Metcalfe