RE: Re: swords needed to vote?

From: chris jensen romer <chrisjensenromer_at_BQQPkxYIpFicFtupukwnKq0qIkoy6D37VcPl15x49cJQCwXVhKdhYqQMi1l>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:01:46 +0000

No it's recent and canon S:KoH p.29 :)

To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
From: richard_hayes29_at_CySAdikruT5D4vSf0YEV2EEqT_UXIhh81DYSwZt2enuz7Xr7e9JHu_EGhQnp1V9QInEG02py6vleTxBLjTRcMqAmBmFRfg.yahoo.invalid Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:19 +0000
Subject: Re: swords needed to vote?

      I can't remember the source (it may well be old and/or unofficial), but I think at least one commentator identified a further aspect to this: the items a man needs to be allowed to fully participate in clan affairs are more expensive/hard to find than those which a woman would need.

Would this have the effect of institutionalising a female majority at clan moots, etc. If so, would this have a moderating influence on clan/tribal politics? Or would it have no such effect as women would be at least as keen to goad their menfolk into machismo as the men would be to talk themselves into it?

Richard Hayes

> This is exactly the opposite approach to the Malkioni. I recall the God Learners once tried to rule an Orlanthi community (was it in Umathela or Maniria - I really can't remember) by taking all the swords away except from their allies (figuring that would automatically reduce them to being servile). The God Learners were stunned that it made no perceptible difference to their clan magic and concluded that the Orlanthi - and by extension all other barbarians and inferior peoples - are just liars.

That is a fun story!

I recall reading somewhere about one of the dark age fyrd type requirements, where each man had to have a helmet and shield (I think) for defense, and a spear and an apple-wood club for weapons. I always thought that nicely illustrated both the local agricultural practices (that everyone would have access to an apple-wood club), and how widely available _something_ that can be used as a weapon is.

Somehow I always figured that the Orlanthi would be fully aware of all those weapon options, and I'm sure some of their stories play on that fact, that someone with the will to defend himself is never truly without weapons.

(and somewhere in Sartar there is a clan with an apple-tree wyter that provides the "strengthen branch" blessing, helping trees endure rough weather but also fortifying the clan's back up weapons....)

Yahoo! Groups Links