Re: Bestiality in Prax?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_PHvpiREGmPs6bHTynhtuM5Z78Xbyw7nz4plu5Xnlm1S6sKcQyj-FdvB5n4ypZasO>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:19:20 -0000

Peter asks a great question:
> Do Praxians have even have a concept of property inheritance?

They do when to comes to beasts. It's in CoP. I think it also said what happens to personal property (tents, weapons, etc.) but I could be misremembering. I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything saying what happens to slaves when the owner dies.

My speculation is as follows:

First, there is no prohibition on owning slaves from your own tribe. Second, Praxians tend to prefer, as mates, people from their own tribes. Third, slavery is not always a lifetime status. We know that you can get out of it one way or another. Argrath did. Fourth, a slave from your own tribe will be more valuable that a slave from another tribe. They know how to do things your way, how to handle your beasts, etc.

So, I think that clans tend to trade slaves so that, over time slaves tend to end up with clans of their own tribe. Assuming that tendency, that also suggests to me that slavery is a status that children are not born into. The child of a free bison man and an enslaved bison woman ought to be a free bison child in my (perhaps limited) view of Praxians. I just don't see a proud khan agreeing that his offspring is a slave though I recognize no agreement would be necessary -- that would just be the way it is. My point is that it jars with the chrome that I prefer for my Praxians.

> I think that slave offspring are either raised as a true praxians or
> dropped off at the nearest oasis.

When would it be one versus the other?

Chris