Re: Bestiality in Prax?

From: donald_at_6ZhXzDzppeQ57XpkYctr6VUgRZ4EyFUNnZiLXyc7C2a8Q80WmKfuSQ4ldbmh92y7lNsEE
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:34:05 -0000

> Yet we've had a scenario where a Sartarite clan suffered because two of the
> members accidentally committed incest, so that notion is found in at least
> some cultures. And a great deal of effort has been spent on the marriage
> customs of various Gloranthan cultures, which are partly to avoid the very
> problem of inbreeding. It's an established problem in Glorantha.

That Sartarites have a problem with incest only shows that Sartarite culture has not the myths to deal with it. It's a big jump to assume that the problem is common among Gloranthan cultures in general. It's not even likely that other cultures share the Sartarite definition of incest. Bear in mind that much of the RW definitition of incest has nothing to do with problems of inbreeding but was introduced by the medieval Christian church for financial reasons. Nor can we assume that the problems of inbreeding seen in the RW are the same as those in Glorantha. I could even argue that it is not incest that brings chaos to Skullpoint but kinstrife.

--
Donald Oddy