Re: Inbreeding (was Bestiality in Prax?)

From: Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_8quSg1F8XbysvmHz18wdVkMPxVXb7bRLmFYoj2PNj8ux4WTk2tE5G4n7PnEd5E4FaA>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:39:16 -0600

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM, David Scott <sciencefish_at_eQmLEjf19zck_RXQ_oxrfP_9CLlUq-Rb8nhCfFhQj7qs9iiYl9n9KBnH1tyoQkn3VqAlEhmQ69t1sLhz7w.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> **
>

> You said Praxians.

So I did, and so did others. I don't think Praxians are biologically all that different from other humans on Glorantha, so I used a published example.

> On 19 Feb 2012, at 22:35, Guy Hoyle wrote:
>
> > Yet we've had a scenario where a Sartarite clan suffered because two of
> the
> > members accidentally committed incest, so that notion is found in at
> least
> > some cultures.
>
> Which scenario is this?

"Final Days at Skullpoint", in *Gathering Thunder*. There's a quote on p.33: "Incest -- knowing or not -- is taboo in most cultures, including all Orlanthi. Its spiritual cnsequences are horrific..." I think it's safe to assume that "most cultures" includes Praxian.

> Orlanth is himself "inbred", his grandmother Gata is mother to his
> parents, Kero Finn and Umath. There's clearly a mythical precedent where
> you can marry your sibling and birth a god. You could have a scenario where
> a brother and sister unknowingly marry and produce a child destined to be a
> hero.

See the quote above about the results of unknowing incest.

As other commentators have suggested that the major Praxian tribes are numerous enough that inbreeding is not a consideration, I'm satisfied to leave it at that.

Guy (Hoyle)