Re: Inbreeding (was Bestiality in Prax?)

From: Christopher <kaiu.keiichi_at_CfgA0kkxjAKzSEBWF726kkdcvw7WwyBReYBMRa1aVwuazEBZNRRm4689NccwTge>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:36:49 -0000

> On 19 Feb 2012, at 23:39, Guy Hoyle wrote:
>
> > "Final Days at Skullpoint", in *Gathering Thunder*. There's a quote on p.33: "Incest -- knowing or not -- is taboo in most cultures, including all Orlanthi. Its spiritual cnsequences are horrific..." I think it's safe to assume that "most cultures" includes Praxian.
>

> Although I think that this was a good if complicated scenario, I'm not sure I would use Ron's quotes on incest as an overall Gloranthan rule in my Glorantha, for the scenario yes as it's key to the story (MGF), but not overall. If you liked that one he wrote an interesting article on Thed (warning adult themes): http://adept-press.com/ideas-and-discourse/other-essays/goddess-of-rape/

I had a fairly long discussion over e-mail with Ron about this, and the role of women and Justice in his group's version of Glorantha. I surmised that an Arroin cult secret would be that Arroin's sacrifice of his power, magic and fertility powers to Thed was the only fair exchange that could be offered - it was a sacrifice that could only freely given, as Orlanth's justice had failed and that only Mercy could stop the destruction of the Tribe by Thed and the crime that was done to her. In my view, Justice could never resolve Thed's dilemma - only Mercy could. This was my response to what Ron's group had come up with and merely my own opinion. A christ-like sacrifice on Arroin's part could never fully heal Thed, but it was a fair payback for what had been done and had sealed Thed's rights and place within the Compromise. Essentially, a mythic answer I have is that in exchange for Thed's rape, Arroin offered himself up to the same abuse willingly in order to preserve the tribe, satisfying Orlanth's justice and spoiling Thed's infinite, justified, self-destructive hatred. Further, it made Thed squarely responsible for any further evil that she did in the pursuit of her Revenge (such as the birth of Wakboth.) This also underscores Chalana Arroy's passionate activism on the Lightbringer's Quest and the warfare and hatred (if it can be said to be that) between the two Cults - Arroy's son foiled the destruction of the Storm Tribe, and Thed raped and stole Arroin's fertility and healing powers, as well as place in the Compromise. This also fits in nicely with Storm Bull's particular personal spite with Thed, and Chalana Arroy's partnership with the Bull. In some myths, I like the idea that Chalana Arroy and Urox were lovers.