Re: Bestiality in Prax?

From: jorganos <joe_at_W5v3Ifneg_PBMWgj773a94jydF8BMfoG8DT1jO67_7W9zOVKtKRJzKFHVSw0xoP5Nnv400l5>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:58:22 -0000

Donald Oddy:
> It's a big jump to assume that the problem is common among Gloranthan cultures in general. It's not even likely that other cultures share the Sartarite definition of incest.

I'm pretty sure that on the grass-root level, incest is viewed as a thing to be avoided. (In autocratic societies, with the autocrats spreading their genes among their subjects, this is less of a problem - except among the autocrats.)

Sibling or offspring marriages are recorded e.g. for Elamle-Ata (Daughter-Wife of her father, and sister-mate to Miirdek as well IIRC.). IMO this happens where a divine or heroic bloodline is desperately kept as pure as possible, since it is a magical requirement for the welfare of that society.

Cultures that have Sacred Marriages of leaders are luckier - even when priest(ess)hood is sort of hereditary (Feathered Horse Queens, Shaker Temple priestesses), the heroic partners change.