Re: Cannibalism in Prax (was Bestiality in Prax?)

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_c01fW-H0RBvPM0fgwtM3Lx2PNrikbB9pLPt8YPYaSUitn5WTwIx0jliJZh-2mQeOkd3>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:47:38 -0600

Well, is cannibalism in Glorantha the
eating of one's own species, or one
sentient being eating another sentient
being? And is this a universal approach or culturally determined?

So Black Bull the Llama Rider sits down to a cannibal dinner. Obviously he eats
other Praxian humans. Is there morokanth in his cook pot? Is there a Satarite? Is there a troll? And are all of these equally wicked to other Praxians? If not, which is worse?

    My thought, as I'm working this out, is that his clan mates will abhor the eating of chops almost as much as eating
one of them. They consider that Sartarite pot sticker bad, but a lesser grade of
cannibalism than the morokanth (since
the Sartarite is less a person because
he's outside Waha's law). They find the troll ribs less bad than the pot sticker or the chops but still a bad thing.

     So I guess for Praxians, I think there are grades of cannibalism rather than
a simple black or white. In general, I
think Praxians have a rather complex
set of rules and taboos around food, since improperly butchered herd animals are
also a problem.

Andrew E. Larsen