RE: Re: Sources used for future publications

From: chris jensen romer <chrisjensenromer_at_38xsiRzhQm-evgrXXt-Y_WESr3OjWHjJnImNT1mWoN0jPb9lOz3Vxn39YD3>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:53:12 +0000

YGWV. Canon is an irrelevance to me for that reason. I'll follow MGF, and if i am wrong on a detail I won't worry, and likewise I won't worry if something I like was taken from Reaching Moon, Unspoken Word, Ian Thomson, Stafford Library, Tradetalk, Moon Designs or Enclosure, or just made up by me. I'll use Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe and the Gazetteer of Dragon Pass, cos I have them and they have good stuff in :)  In short I'll just go with what works for my story. I can see why Moon Design don't want to worry about Mongoose stuff, and vice versa. There may be license issues too I guess in using each other copyrights etc?

I must disagree with the claim Mongoose Second Age books were poor (but I enjoyed ILH 1 & 2 a great deal as well) - Darra Happa Stirs is as I have remarked before one of the very very best rpg campaigns I have played in 30 years, and many of the books were excellent. I was amazed by how many list members did not seem to be familiar with the series, but then I do try and buy pretty much anything Glorantha based, when money allows. Apart from a bizarre reference to Alakoring as a child in the original Ralios supplement, at a time when I thought he was uniting the Orlanthi of Ralios against the EWF, I did not notice any continuity glitches. If there were any, well Mongoose were at the time licensed by Greg, and so I assumed he approved their material and it was correct and earlier sources incorrect. I never really got on with the Clanking City book, and Ruins of Glorantha really was not my cup of tea, but I have had a lot of fun with the Mongoose books, and am really looking forward to the New Deign Mechanism RQ6.

Obviously I really love the new Heroquest books, and am still working my way through SKoH and TSC and am eagerly awaiting Pavis! They are of an extremely high quality, and I really enjoy them. (I was a huge fan of the old Hero Wars trade paperbacks too, Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe, among the best rpg books i ever read, and I loved the core HQ 1st ed rulebook.) I never really got in t the Pavis companion series, but I have never had any opportunity to use them yet, and I certainly will do with suitable modifications when I run Pavis.

However first I want to run Pavis from Mongoose - it's a good book, interesting sounding adventures, and while it lacked the wow! factor for me of Dara Happa Stirs (or Blood Over Gold which I still have not run ;() I really look forward to trying it. I was disappointed that there will be no references based on Second Age stuff in the Guide to Glorantha - I mean I expected it to be third age based of course, but in the history i would have preferred references to Second Age Mongoose material where that material was approved by and originated with Greg, if any did.

I had no idea that MSE was contradicted in the 2nd ed books though -- I'm going to have to go read it again now! I do find at times though there does seem to be a bit of an anti-RQ vibe, and maybe even an anti-HQ1 vibe on the list. I really loved both games, though I know their flaws like I know all my old loves weaknesses. I don't think there is one true way to play in Glorantha. We are all us.

cj x

CJ's uneventful life is now blogged: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/