Re: Vadeli symbolism

From: Daniel <von_das_at_j1eSk5skSqln7AuXcBtN9fksdodOO5HacZelu9nGLhwYmHJQbMInrf4s1_WA3_PdmIep>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:11:26 -0000

Thank you for the detailed response.

I rather prefer the "twisted perversion of the Brithini caste system" variant. It does make sense to me. The Tradetalk article did have "Yellow skins", but those were given to Vadeli slaves - I suppose that would likely be retconned, though.

I'm not sure if Vadeli won't be even more monstrous for somehow lacking a "yellow" caste, but if the Yellow Vadeli leaders do exist, then one association that comes to mind (via both Dostoyevsky and the King in Yellow) is madness. Which, to the Westerners, must be even more horrifying than the things that would precede it.

It may seem wrong for a Logical people to embrace the loss of reason, but it seems to fit the peculiar Vadeli paradigm of boundless exploration. All the logical, reasonable, sane things have already been mapped...

About them being Enrovalini, though - I thought they were Viymorni, and so a different tribe? Or is that no longer such a valid distinction?

Also, I'm not sure if Brithini code of conduct could be really said to be moral. I suppose this may just be ingrained influence of old material on me, which keeps stating that they're very much amoral. Ethical feels more like the right term, here, or even lawful. That might all be splitting hairs, though.

Frothing Brithini rage is excellent, though. It does not seem like standard Brithini behaviour at all, and so would be very thought-provoking to someone only recently introduced to this side of the setting.