Re: Vadeli besmirching

From: jorganos <joe_at_WtkYVbp2AGJ8qYTUC-qz52YDclgNnrWa_cctugUZ0DPdOl6SqGOIfpwRwBmTGNYKsErVwQje>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:23:08 -0000

The Vadeli are cruel, perverse, double-dealing man-shaped immortals who made pacts with all manner of inhuman(e) folks (like the Mostali of Thakarn). Their only redeeming feature is that they stood against Zzabur.

If you want to see some positive aspects of the Vadeli Empire, you might look for Melnibone or possibly better Pan Tang in Michael Moorcock's Young Kingdoms. Their behavior in Pamaltela was no worse than that of imperialist Europeans in Afrika. Their dealings with fellow tribes from Danmalastan were based on treachery when selling out the Tadeniti or usurping the Kachasti - but these means would be covered by Machiavelli's The Prince.

Their marriage and immortality patterns and behavior is no worse than that of the Greek or Phoenician gods - remember that these are immortals, not mortals.

This also makes them hard to depict in a human way. They might be seen as a variation of the Unseely Court of the Sidhe. Often beautiful, often disgusting, generally aloof and cruel.