Re: Malkioni cities

From: jorganos <joe_at_j06WGxbD6uQTGZKjH30ikZseyvUcPUULIFEyx472-ybdPyo74WQSoXdgMr-kUQdibNQ8XD56>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:21:38 -0000

The architecture of individual buildings will be dictated by climate, available building material and space.

Original Malkioni architecture was developed in warm temperate climate, and may resemble any of the fertile crescent or mediterranean housing. Rather Angkor Vat than Macchu Picchu, with both anthropomorphic decorations and runic inscriptions that might resemble the Moorish Spanish style of decorations.

However, shortly after establishing the City of Logic, Walwind established the glacier, and the Logicians had to adapt to colder temperatures. The northernmost tribe (the Waertagi) took to the seas, the Kachasti and Enrovalini adapted, the Kadeniti became a war zone in the conflicts with the Vadeli and the Tadeniti were enslaved by the Mostali. The Vadeli had the territory and climate to hang on to the original designs, but I expect a drastic change in decorations.

Brithos probably attempted to change as little as possible from the original architecture, and may have come up with incongruent adaptations to the cold rather than sensible new designs, at least in some areas. I don't expect the Loskalmi to be the only Malkioni to express magic in architecture (and vice versa). But I also expect quite radical protective designs against cold and enemies in outposts near the glacier front, and other styles of fortifications on the border shared with the Vadeli.

Loskalm is likely to experience snow-rich winters, so you will see rather steep roofs so that the houses won't collapse. There will be chill winds from the Glacier even in summer, so the houses won't open much towards the northwest, and possibly have enclosed courts or gardens for outdoors activities in the warmer seasons.

Seshnela has a strong cold water current in the Neliomi, but since the sinking there are few people exposed to that - most activities now lie in the Tanier Valley and along the Solkathi coast which brings along quite warm water. They still get quite a bit of rain and some snow in the winter, so don't expect flat roof terraces like in Pavis.

The Seshnegi inherited architectural styles from the Brithini and the native Likiti (who IMO also built the cities for the Pendali).

The settlers of Jrustela may have found their ancestral Danmalastan architecture perfectly adapted to the climate of that new land (and that of Umathela).

Ancient unpublished sources talk about the use of (Roman style) concrete in the Imperial Age. That's another building material we can add to brick, masonry (sandstone and harder materials), framework, clay, plaster, chalk mortar, timber, etc.