Re: Troll illumination

From: Jim G. <cainesinmyhead_at_RIJviis8ikEzxUAz0Nhf-R5eUO4pWNK8pVNCMI4hDON9Zsa1-4eKwuOJcy2OE>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:09:57 -0600

I'm really a Gloranthan novice, so pardon my comments if they don't contribute to the discussion.

And I am spinning off of Simon Hibb's recent post.

Doesn't it seem that we risk trying to define Chaos through the medium of Illumination? And that Chaos stubbornly resists that? Like a virus, it infects anywhere it can get a foothold, be that Light, Darkness, or even Troll.

We can argue that the Underworld is a place of stasis, but does Chaos actually care? I realize "caring" is an odd word to use in this context.. but just to define the Underworld and apply properties to it is to lend structure or order to it. Chaos has no regard any division, definition, or structure.

We tend to fall back into this line of thinking almost automatically. Kenrae points out that Chaos predated the Underworld. But really..? So what if it didn't? Does Chaos obey linear time except when forced?

Does Chaos follow any rules or conventional thinking- except when it is forced to do so?

Perhaps trolls can be illuminated regardless of whether it is possible or not, because Chaos does not respect our delicate sensibilities concerning what should and should not be possible. I don't mean that to be a cop-out or easy answer, but rather a comment on the insidiousness of Chaos.

In that case, the better question might be how EASY it for trolls to become illuminated? Because that is a measure of well trolls can maintain their sense of order in the universe. If we can't accurately measure the Power of Chaos, perhaps we can measure the powers/forces/beings that resist it.

Just my rambling thoughts......

Jim