Re: God of Lunar Feminism?

From: Paul King <paul_at_IHgpSSr61q7n9RAz5P155aGhTsGomVlatyqyG4MG0Ovj3aHAYuLh16UTalSW9-mm4PCMZt1>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:57:33 +0000

On 21 Mar 2012, at 08:09, David Cake wrote:

> I didn't mean it in the sense that I think the Lunar way is not 'deep' (it is), or that the Lunar way was only a development of Dara Happan religion (of course the Lunar religion draws elements together from Dara Happan, Pelandan, and other sources). I should really have said the Lunar Empire can be considered a thin veneer over the Dara Happan Empire - many residents of the Empire are not Lunar cultists, and do not embrace all Lunar values.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to make - what you said is really a matter of politics rather than religion. Politically the position of women in the Empire is pretty much the same as it would be under their traditional cultures. The one major exception is that women may become Lunar citizens, which would, I believe, entitle them to equality under the law (even if some Dara Happans would be reluctant to respect that).

Going back to your earlier post, because the Lunar religion is largely not Dara Happan (or at least not orthodox Dara Happen) there is no problem with a Lunar Goddess (including Immortals) embracing feminism. Nor is there a problem with feminist non-lunar cults in themselves. Although the Empire is Dara Happan, the various Satrapies and Provinces still largely retain their own religions. So, what you say really only strictly applies to non-Lunar Dara Happans.