Re: Orlanthi and looting of the dead.

From: Jeff <richaje_at__apM5P5qwlpI08DPFAYqkkEtUtBRo4Um7P17QtH0RIz6BIu7a9j2nZTRyDRWJij9uLJf>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:23:45 -0000

> This long legal development reminds me, again, of the different mindset between anglo-saxons and latins. Very few people in a latin culture today would even think about lawsuits and fines and "legal niceties". I've never seen such topics included in any RP game, even sophisticated ones. Revenge, fleeing before avengers from afar, hired killers, yes, we have all that - but no legalese stuff.

Which is ironic, because once upon a time Latin culture was obsessed with law and legal niceties. There's a wonderful bit in the "Pope's Rhinoceros" where two clerics debate whether an ongoing brawl is subject to church or secular law. Or Umberto Eco's "Baudolino" has a scene where Baudolino (a good product of northern Italy) explains to his adopted father Frederick Barbarossa how to use Roman law to triumph over his enemies. Or the endless conflict between law and justice in Greek tragedy.

Jeff