Re: Advice for an eccentric group of PCs

From: robin <robin_mitra_at_AtCOyMqJL9sPAwqMQyiNdzSrnTB0-xlvWT67epn22965oNHdPEoVgu_AV5ZG7L8O>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:37:17 -0000

In both of my running series there is currently no Orlanth initiate at all. In one group the best combat expert happens to be the Lhankor Mhy lawspeaker. Players tend to deviate from the "Orlanthi all". But that is no problem at all. In fact it can be great fun.

Most roleplaying systems I know "force" the players to play homeless and jobless people, wandering around looking for somebody to hire them. In Glorantha and HeroQuest you can focus on social interaction. If you already started with local clan politics it's the best way to do it. Let the NPCs be the war mongers. That gives your players the opportunity to use their abilities and concepts to the clan's benefit. My advice on the epic question: don't start with the epic level. Start local. That gives the players the time to get adjusted to the world and their environment. Also players have to learn what is possible to do and what is not. Let the players feel that their actions have consequences – for better or worse. Maybe they take part in electing a PC's brother new clan chief. Maybe they form a strong alliance (through marriage or trade) with Blue Spruce clan. Maybe they drift into a feud with that clan and the PCs cannot prevent it. In any case the next level is already there: your series has gone from clan affairs to tribal level. From that you go on to epic!

RoM