Re: Forums are now up at the Moon Design home page

From: Rick <rmeints_at_uZFX5zxs_RcGkUvWlGeAjwpcIdrtB6RV9XNdOgBZAzg3uniAcDxcZuyf4CP8O8SYg5CQ>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:53:48 -0000

David Cake <dave_at_...> wrote:
> Which is exactly what I was afraid of - that you want to replace, not supplement,
> the WoG and other mailing lists. IMO, forums don't replace mailing iists, any
> more than wikis replace blogs. Different purposes, different use cases, different rules.
> Forums are an excellent format for situations where there is a large amount of
> information on offer, but you want to read only a small amount of it.
> That is why they make excellent tools for product support, for example.

I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. In the end, at least for Jeff and I, we can only participate in so many forums/lists/groups/websites on a regular basis. We are not into shutting down anything, but we can only post in so many places before running out of time. There are only so many hours in the day we can spend writing gloranthan material, working with artists, doing layout, running our web store, answering emails, etc. People are welcome to use whatever gloranthan website/forum/group/etc. they desire, but I hope they realize that if they want a prompt response from Jeff or I, they are most likely to get it if they use the forums and similar on the Moon Design website. Also, there may very well end up being fragmentation of discussion where the same thing gets talked about in two places, and if you want info from Jeff/Greg/me, you may have to go to the MD website to read it. I hope we don't see a situation where people complain about "why didn't they respond here", or "I didn't know they were talking about topic X there". Please remember we are not saying we won't post here, but time constraints make it less likely we'll participate here. For some, maybe they'll see our limited presence as a plus. :-)

Right now, I bounce between at least 4 yahoo groups, rpg.net, the MD website, FB, and probably 3-4 other websites. None are huge in traffic on any given day, but it's a lot on some days.