Re: Odal and personal property among the Orlanthi.

From: donald_at_Bk9DGEqC_u2mp4LPXUSJMlyPxSzUEPAI67aniZxdeJaGTcRgW3c4Iz9YiZ6c8zE0_63fz
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:30:35 +0100

Terry:
> I'm trying to understand how property works among the Orlanthi. Everything seems to be
> owned by the clan except personal property. There are also property belonging to a
> booldline, and also steads(?). In one way or another it's communal (on some level) or
> personal. I'm ok with this I think.
>
> But what happens when our heroes are out there in the world, slaying enemies and
> taking trophies, finding lost treasures or simply getting paid for a job? Are all of these
> riches personal property, or does it depend on the type of item?

> Or does it depend on the circumstances under which the items were obtained (mission
> for the clan, running around on their own)?
>
> Is there a typical way of splitting such riches between the individual and the clan? After
> all the clan has provided for the person their whole life, so most people would want to
> share with the clan even if everything is considered personal property. Would such a
> split depend on the types of items or simply value? Would the three cows obtained go
> to the clan `automatically' or would it be ok to sell them and buy a new bracelet?

In general loot is brought before the clan chief for him to allocate. Some will be given to the individuals who took it, some to their bloodlines and some to the clan as a whole. What goes to who is very situation dependent - e.g. cattle will only be given to someone who has the resources to look after them. So unless your young hero has a herder follower he won't get cows. There may also be politics or other factors involved. The loot from a retalitory raid may well go to compensate the people who lost out earlier.

The closer the clan was to being involved the more the clan's share will be and the more strictly the rule that everything must be presented to the chief will be applied. So if your heros have spent a few years in Pavis and come back with loads of loot some choice items are sufficent and most will be given to them by the chief.

Remember generosity is a virtue to the Orlanthi, neither they nor their chief will want to be seen as ungenerous in their gifting.

--
Donald Oddy