Re: Odal and personal property among the Orlanthi.

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_3B_sJ4p0oAwVmdtlyC0Yg6RpfhxF4KxelSkFa9RxT-l_sogxBz6rmEF_F7_hSQK_cMG>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:55:23 -0500

One way to think about it is that all members of the clan have a duty to strengthen the clan. The cottars strengthen the clan by generating food, the thanes strengthen it by raiding and fending off attacks, and so on. The PCs, if they go adventuring, are expected to strengthen the clan that way. That might be by finding allies for the clan, enhancing the clan's reputation, or it might be by bringing back wealth for the clan. So if the players have built an alliance or destroyed chaos or hurt the Lunars, the clan will probably look the other way if they keep most of the loot for themselves. On the other hand, if the only result is that they come home richer, they're gonna be expected to spread the wealth.

Andrew E. Larsen