Re: Some input about a REALLY BIG mother

From: David Cake <dave_at_BjgP4-TRzygeUXBndZVFoAZGzS9947DaLKs_7eauE7ZVE7GM-UjVuIhOWtKcF3vRnk5T083>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:26:05 +0800

This is a HeroQuest post not a Glorantha issue really, but yes, the answer is that you only need to know a rating if the PCs are going to enter into a contest, that they can conceivably win. You only need to know her size if the PCs are going to try to lift her, and have some reasons to think they might succeed.

The Mother (and Gonn Orta etc) more like living landscape.

If they try to fight (or otherwise physically interact with) the Mother, all they can pretty much do is try to evade being eaten or stepped on. It is much the same as trying to evade an avalanche or similar - just set the difficulty, set the consequences.

As a minor note of Gloranthan fact - according to Elder Secrets her spawn are neither as numerous or as small as implied here - she lays 1d6 eggs a day, and the spawn at hatching are usually around SIZ 35 in Runequest terms. Translating RQ SIZ into actual weights etc is not as exact as the neat chart for it implies, but still that should be over half a ton in weight. So think a small number of spawn, but each individually quite frightening.

Of course, that is how big the spawn are when they hatch. If one is foolishly allowed to live and eat and grow, who knows how big it might get - presumably, as big as Mamma in theory (possibly, she typically eats many of her own spawn by accident.