Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: Daniel <von_das_at_VUKeqQAa3uegaeEhyut-a-Twxb5XJlZi92B-6GcNz23cJ2_hT0jgym_kum3pfhGWG78q>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:18:59 -0000

A prospective player just asked me what would happen if an Orlanthi were to awaken one of those three runes during initiation rites. I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Personally I think that Magic, relatively useless as it is, might still function as a sort of jack-of-all-trades affinity to help enact magic and connect with the Otherworlds. It may indeed be a sign of a great future magician, though it does seem like a strange thing to have. Stasis, though, really doesn't seem like something an Orlanthi would normally get. I can see it in conjunction with one of the 15% cults. I wonder if it also helps one get along with dwarves. It certainly won't make you popular among your own people.

I rather doubt one can awaken the Infinity rune during adulthood initiation rites; if only because from a MGF perspective that'd make someone much more powerful than the other characters. It does seem more like an endgame thing to be unlocked after a very involved heroquest, perhaps by walking the path of a God or of a SuperHero, or by seeking out draconic wisdom.

Incidentally, I also wonder how many human holders of the Infinity Rune there are out there. I'd guess a SuperHero would have it; what about any of the "lesser" heroes? Did the people who founded hero cults acquire it at some point?