Re: Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: David Cake <dave_at_5eURE_9pwd5wq3t88Sl8BRLvBzEF5RXa5apN3qezXX_Jw-QL_IKmF1B7GamCYIvA8HP4kes>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:33:56 +0800

On 04/05/2012, at 11:59 PM, hcarteau_at_PZKYgqO-UUoPrgEin_XyRTt6H2Q_IHIdNrd26AApAq29bxlANsZGIdL42pqb9FTByKhnr3ZmGyIDT00.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> I suspect stasis is but a barbaric name for the True Power of LAW, aka Akos, aka the ultimate malkioni Rune.

        I'd rather put is as the ultimate Sorcery Rune, rather than Malkioni per se. Glorantha has two major sorcery traditions (Malkioni and Mostali), and several minor ones.

> The very few heortling who'd awake it would be Lankhor Mhy lawspeakers, in charge of stabilizing an another violent, unruly social system.

	I think LM has this via the Law Rune, not Stasis. Yes, there is a similarity between the two, but in game terms you can't have both.
	And in social terms, I don't think LM is supposed to stabilise Orlanthi society in the way you say. The majority of Orlanthi law is what we would call civil law - it isn't for proscribing right behaviour, it is for managing conflict by non-violent means.
	I think this distinction (between proscribing an ideal form, and between constraining change into appropriate forms) is why the Stasis and Law runes are different.
	There are a few ultra-conservative LM around for whom everything new is wrong, sure. But the real role of law in Orlanthi society is more like ensuring there is always another way.

> Some elmali Defenders might also have it, I agree with Robin. And Women. Women like Stability. To raise children, to protect them, to see the household proper, stability is needed. So some use the Stasis Power to balance their men's yelling and fighting and running around...

        Most Orlanthi womens cults are Earthy. I think Stasis isn't a great match for most of them - fertility is, when it comes down to it, a form of change, and most are tied with the cycle of the seasons, new growth etc. But some match well. Asrelia, notably, is a good match for Stasis. You could argue Ty Kora Tek as well (though, of course, Death is a form of change, you can also see it as the stasis that comes after death).

> Infinity : IMO you cannot be born with. This Rune means "beyond mortal". You might get it in some big Heroquest, and become immortal, but the only ones born with it would be children of the Gods. What'd be the fun to play that ?

	I think it would be appropriate to consider Eg Jar-Eel as being born with the rune. She was the product of a century old breeding program etc. And certainly certain historical demi-gods and such might qualify.
	But I agree it is certainly never something that 'just happens'.

> Magic : I never could find a fun, original use for that one, beyond using it to augment any and all other magical effects, whatever their form. It'd make a character more spiritual, otherworldly. Perhaps it can only remain raw and never be trained, developped ?

	In terms of what it means for character, it is pretty obvious - the character is focussed on the magical, otherworldly aspects, rather than the practical and mundane.
	In game terms, besides indicating a general proficiency with magic, it likely indicates a facility with common magic and other unusual forms of magic. I'd certainly allow a character with the Magic Rune to develop some unusual magical interests. Talents would be particularly appropriate - an innately magical person, rather than one whose magic depends on external forces like gods or spirits or years of study.

	Cheers

		David