Re: Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: David Cake <dave_at_ioYnkKAVNOEFM4jK_mdI0a8PKGmF-DA3YaEFt_o6MKPc0u9RGsae5G-0X4v4vyWoRXXHirX>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 00:01:10 +0800

On 07/05/2012, at 9:20 PM, David Scott wrote:

> On 7 May 2012, at 13:32, Nick Eden wrote:
>

>> Not entirely convinced both that Peter. I would think the conversation must
>> involve a trip to the Gods Plane, since that's what major rituals do, and
>> so it is effectively a HeroQuest, even if it's a very well defined one.

> It would be relatively easy to quest to get a new rune, just go to your cultural source with a relevant sacrifice. Just because none have appeared in print (yet) doesn't mean it can't be done. Swapping runes may certainly be easier in some cultures.
	I think it is a significant ritual - yes, we've seen examples in print, but in those cases it is a big deal, on the level of an initiation, which absolutely does involve a trip to the Gods world.
	And it should be a major life event - it changes your entire personality.

>> It's also important to remember that the evangelical Lunars are very
>> unusual. Their whole system is built on heroquests, so even if the
>> individual does not themself tread a hero path, that'll only because others
>> have quested so often and hard that it becomes ' normal'.

> The write up in Pavis makes it clear that it's easy to swap one of your runes for a Moon phase (and also easy to swap it for the Chaos rune).

        No, the writeup in Pavis makes it clear that it is a life-changing event, and equivalent to an initiation ceremony. Read SKOH, pg 78-80 - evan a lay member or adulthood initiation is a very serious business, involving a trip to the God world. A full Initiate level ceremony (which a Lunar kindling is) is even more of a big deal.

> You don't need a quest, a simple ceremony will suffice. If you read a lunar grimoire, it may happen against your will!

	I don't think that is the case at all. Studying a grimoire takes years. And I think a Lunar grimoire mostly comes across as mystic nonsense to those not kindled - why would you study a book of nonsense for years?
	Cheers
		David