Re: Odal and personal property among the Orlanthi.

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_s0TKhnrsU1RENF23oGs6SOEbYRPzZwAwQ_qMBK9vFNgLDbovlhBLdIpD9yW6Rv6>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 19:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

It may be some treasure trove rights that are being discussed.  In English common law (before 1996), and in many other countries settled by the English, something that was obviously just lost long ago, or was (like Sutton Hoo) left where it was found without any intent to recover, it is the property of the finder, or finder and landowner.  If it was hidden on purpose, with intent to recover later (like the Cheapside Hoard), then it belongs to the state, at least in part, if no heirs can be found.  In this case, the tribal king.  I can't really see any rationale to this, except that where valuables are concerned, the powers-that-be always want their share.

Orlanthi legalists can have much fun with this notion.  For instance, 'treasure', as legally defined under the old law, must be at least half silver or gold.  I would imagine that magic items are included in Gloranthan traditions.

I was interested to note, on checking on the RW laws, that the term was originally an Anglo-French one, tresor trové, or 'found treasure', but trove came to be a word in its own right.

Alison