Re: Ompalam, Malia and other possibly chaotic dieties

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_DMMa_T--Dp_waXNC7E5GM1ne8tt7L2_hRLhCvH6pJkJVvI0bkdULssfjp9RUN4DQ6wN>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:00:28 +1200

On 8/21/2012 2:46 AM, simon_hibbs2 wrote:

> Cannibalism turning people into ogres is a theory. It has evidence. We are told that Ogres are believed to be descended from a human tribe that took the side of Chaos during the Great Darkness, and that they eat people, and that cannibalism can cause a chaos taint. It's a case of connecting these three dots to make a picture, but yes we don't have an explicit published source.

"Evidence" isn't the word for the three dots, the first two have nothing relevant on whether cannibalism causes Ogres while the third is demonstrably flawed.

> I think cannibalism and rape are universal no-nos. The answer to mikko's Q&A question puts the adds of chaos taint for those at around 15%.

The trouble with chaotic cannibalism is that Greg's populated glorantha with a large variety of cannibals, most of which are neither Ogres or chaotics.

> Accepted, but some activities that are borderline can be pushed over into the 'chaotic act' category by stating them to be so culturally, identifying them as such mythically and binding oneself to abstain from them ritually (e.g. during initiation).

So where did the Orlanthi get the myth that cannibalism is chaotic? They weren't particularly plagued by cannibalism during the Great Darkness and one Vingkotling tribe was founded by a cannibal.

> Gbaji The Deceiver doesn't have powers of deception?

Gbaji is Arkat's name for him. And we all know untrustworthy Arkat is.

--Peter Metcalfe