Re: Ompalam, Malia and other possibly chaotic dieties

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_0J9AhKxXPa0BCP9p5DBUASrJ0Fqg66DisiCvldfTvmUM80PwowDfMcM8e3Wx25HubNU>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:18:51 +1200

On 8/23/2012 7:31 PM, simon_hibbs2 wrote:

>> ...It is worth noting that the geas is not "kill a family member"
> Agreed, it's really about funerary rites.

Giuven that many RW human societies once operated under the principle that the head of the family can kill a family member without outside legal repercussion (which is true of the Dara Happans and the Esrolians), I find this attempt at "humanizing" the Uz to have something of the pathetic about it.

The Uz are not sophisticated humans operating within a finally honed web of taboos and ceremonies, they are horrific monsters ruled by fear, hunger, anger and other passions. Observance of kinship ties and the like are well down on their motivations. Troll society is little more than a balance of terror illuminated by sudden spasms of violence.

A Karrg's Son isn't a performer of archaic funerary rites - he should be feared for devouring whomever he feels like. Give him lip and he'll happily chew them off for you. Hit him once? He'll think nothing of ripping the offending arm off and devouring it whole. Anger him immensely? You better pray that he kills you outright because not being killed outright is so much worse. The only reason other Uz like them around is that the Death Lords are so much worse.

--Peter Metcalfe