Re: Shadows Dance and the GIant Land adjacent

From: jorganos <joe_at_2joG9vUhvqJFs4hGwN2l7-FKOlpAewSzL_H8m1x_i7Fek-HCuvlRkuKN-tucZzhHlzw0d7iI>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:31:18 -0000

Me:
>> As far as I am concerned, giants are about being ridiculously >> large, strong, and tough. Anything else is added encumberance.

Peter Metcalfe:
> I don't think that's a very useful definition. The Founders have
> animal heads whereas all the Giants that we know off are human in
> appearance.

The founders have a shape in which they are giants with animal heads. I note that the different brothers display different animal heads.

Strangest is the Morokanth founder, who is four-legged with a gern-shaped head. Still gigantic, though.

I'm far from convinced that these are the only shapes the founders can or will take. Looking at the Morocanth specimen, I would assume that these shapes became default after Waha's Covenant only.

Most of the Praxian spirit deities that we would call giants are those of the Golden Age, not those of beast rider tribes, though. Eiritha is a daughter of Genert, who had numerous companions that went alongside with him - Splendid Yamsur, Seolinthor, and many now forgotten. A few are remembered as diminished spirits of the Paps.

The Plateau of Statues presumably shows depictions of Genert's companions. Now we know only too well that a giant statue doesn't really prove a giant stature (or the four presidents on Mt. Rushmore would never have fit into the White House), but on the other hand powerful beings tend to appear as giants. Or as gigantic monsters.

I don't see the ancient struggle between the giants and the dragons as the famous Laocoon statue, but rather as huge, barely defined entities slugging it out in world-shaking collisions. Definitely not as (huge) humans wrestling reptiles.