Re: Campaign advice

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_QkqFjAkKrf1JT36MnUq2n0TdFwKQjwYhsDA2Tub6QED3-stf_2DHdffnGNAL_J1>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:27:25 -0700 (PDT)

We've used Runequest since the '80's, and, honestly, roleplaying is fine and fun within that ruleset, also, as Bryan says.  Some of our best scenarios have come because a random encounter turned up on a dice roll.  The cameo 'A Loaf of Bread, a Jug of Wine, and Thou' in the old Tales of the Reaching Moon fanzine was from exactly that.  A long, drawn-out and hilarious affair in which we obtained Regrow Limb (you guess which one) for a gelded bison happened because the dice said this particular beast decided to charge Kajabor in the Eternal Battle (critical riding roll, I think).  We wanted to know what was special about this animal, and it went from there.  The GM's imagination is the deciding factor, not the dice.

As with any system, it is what you make of it, and what you and your players like to do.  We always preferred the grittier, more detail-oriented aspects of RQ, although, in practise, we actually used dice only when we felt like it.  We'd kill characters who acted insanely stupidly, or knowingly self-sacrificed themselves, but not generally because the dice said so.

Another system that you might like to investigate, just for ideas on GMing, is Trail of Cthulhu.  Their scenarios usually rely on investigators solving problems, and you just don't want to screw your players up merely because the dice won't co-operate.  So, if it's plot-critical, the information is always given to the player.  Players with high skills can request extra info by using something like Hero Points.

Anyway, have fun, and make sure that the players help you by giving their own ideas for you to foment into a better plot!

Alison