Re: Gustbran mechanics

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:54:11 +0100 (BST)

The smith needs a forge.  Define that as a community (HQ2 p87 following).

Or the the forge could be defined as a sidekick.  That way the player would be in charge of the abilities and can direct where he wants improvements.  To me this seems more intimate than the community idea.  Though that would be an excellent resource for a clan.

In addition, the resource should be used for a specific goal in mind.  Don't allow to keep my party strong.  Do allow to raid the Blind King's Castle or to defend my village from the Ewoks of Doom. Once the goal is completed, the resource is used up - the magic wears out from the swords, too many of them have been broken or dented to be useful.

I love this as an idea.

To make specific or legendary weapons needs only be dealt with if the end result is giving an ability to another player.  I would simply treat the weapon as a retainer (HQ2 p62) or perhaps even a sidekick (p64).

Agreed, perhaps if the smith is good/rolls well then some bonus to the starting ability of 13 might be in order.  Possibly a rolled or automatic augment from the smithing skill used.
Gavain