Elemental Progression

From: hcarteau_at_...
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:16:14 +0200 (CEST)

This idea of elemental advantages is new to me. Where is this written?

/// It is a very old concept, perhaps one of the first of Glorantha. Mythology, or the History of the Gods, determines which Element dominate other(s). It is a circle.

DARKNESS dominates EARTH, as it eats the fruits of growth. EARTH dominates AIR, as Ernalda married Orlanth. AIR dominates WATER, as Orlanth beat back the raging seas. WATER dominates FIRE/SKY, as Lorion invaded the skies and turned them blue. FIRE dominates DARKNESS, as Yelm crashed in the Underworld and burned away the dark gods.

And the circle starts again.

There have been several game rules to simulate this in HQ : a straight +2 to the dominant Element vs the dominated, or a +10% increase to its score, etc. It's valid in my Glorantha. It lets players pick fights more carefully and with more planning.

Notice MOON is not in this circle. But is it an element?