Re: Not so Chaotic Fonrit

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:19:34 +1300

On 10/21/2012 6:11 AM, Mark wrote:

>> The rulers of Fonrit are oppressive not because they want to be but
>> because they are terrified of the unrestrained use of Vadeli insights.
> Even if it started out that way, I think that over time it would devolve into cynicism or fanaticism or both.

I won't deny there are some cynical and/or fanatical rulers in Fonrit.

A major constraint against widespread cynicism, I feel, is the knowledge that the use of unrestrained insights have had memorably bad consequences (like say the gloranthan equivalent of Godzilla or Cthulhu demolishing large portions of the city). While a ruler could be cynical and/or in the pursuit of power, they have to be covert in doing so. If news about their philosophy broke, the other rulers would gang up on them to put them down (and then fight each other over the spoils).

--Peter Metcalfe