Re: Humakti tattoos

From: robin <robin_mitra_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:22:29 -0000

You are certainly right that YGWV. Here is my Glorantha:

  1. In my Glorantha it is not possible for any individual to belong to a tribe directly. Tribes are federations of clans not individuals. A) If a clan leaves a tribe a single clan member has no way of staying behind and deciding to keep membership in the tribe. B) Same goes for a tribe. It has no way of rejecting the "Ox Clan" while accepting "Anduin of the Ox Clan" as a member. C) IMG that also applies if Anduin has lost his clan, because he was banned with greater outlawry or he became a Humakti.
  2. Tribal moots are organised to settle legal disputes between two clans or between one clan and an individual from another clan. If I would allow direct membership for Humakti in tribes in my Glorantha, that would make it possible for a clan to sue the Humakti's tribe. The clan could legally demand wergild from the Humakti's tribe as compensation for the homicides he committed. In my Glorantha that is not possible.
  3. You are right that there is the myth "Humakt the Champion". And I must confess that I am not sure what its meaning is. Orlanth offered Humakt a place in his Storm Tribe, not as brother but as champion. Humakt never said "Yes, I agree to your terms." So I automatically assumed he did not agree. I thought he just gave him the sword (i.e. became his sword) to show his honour but never actually joined the Storm Tribe. But my assumption might be flawed here.

Cheers
Robin