Re: Zzabur and the Great Compromise

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:11:52 +0800

On 18/11/2012, at 6:10 PM, babeldemeter3 wrote:

> Dear Gray Sages,
>
> In my humble quest of enlightenment, I wonder if the famous Zzabur is bound by the Great Compromise.
>
> He was able to transport Brithos into the Otherworld creating the Closing as a side effect in 920 ST.
> Was this act at variance with the Great Compromise or not ?
> And his wish to flood Fronela ?
>
> Do you have some clues about these questions ?

	Zzabur wouldn't call if the Great Compromise. It is not as big a deal in Western myth, because Gods aren't as big a deal in Western myth.
	This is Zzaburs account of what happened, quoting from Revealed Mythologies
"Zabur does utmost, and at last he is in the company of several inferior beings, al [sic] descendants of or degenerate forms of his once-contemporaries. They are the Gods.
	Zzabur cites to each of them their measure, and speaks a word of command over them. He proves he is superior to them. He secures the place of the Creator once again among them. The gods are heartened by this knowledge, and they agree to destroy Vadel and his armies."
	and the Gods go on to assist Zzaburs spell for nuking the Western continent.

	I think good way of thinking about it is that Zzabur sees the Great Compromise as a return to the gods being bound by Law/the will of the Creator, which is what Zzabur wanted all along.
	The question of whether Zzabur is bound by the Great Compromise then becomes the question of whether Zzabur too is bound by Law, but it becomes a rather academic one to a Brithini (and most Malkioni) mindset, as whatever Zzabur wants to do is clearly Lawful anyway. If you think otherwise, you are clearly mistaken, as Zzabur is surely a greater authority on what is the Law than you are.

	From a theist perspective, Zzabur isn't exactly a god, and his magic works differently, so he wouldn't exactly be bound in the same way anyway?

	It seems, however, that in practice Zzabur isn't quite able to make alterations in the world quite as freely as previous, and his ability to act may be limited in some way. The Closing and the concealment of Brithos is his only truly world-altering act since the Dawn, and there is some doubt as to whether the results were quite what was intended. Perhaps he is bound somewhat after all?

	Cheers
		David