Re: How prevalent is magic?

From: Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:37:41 +0000

Magic is as prevalent in Glorantha as physics is on Earth. If I launch a slingstone at you, you wouldn't say "Hey! You used physics on me!"

But I'm sure that's not quite what you were getting at. How often do Gloranthan folk do something that we, as mundane Earth humans, would consider to be beyond our laws of physics. Having a baby is a magical act in Glorantha, but we don't usually consider it "magical".

In the case of the flying lightning guy on the battlefield, I'd expect that happens in every battle, everyone casts a bit of personal magic (Protection 1 etc.) at the start, and many of the participants take part in the preparation magic unless they're taken by surprise or charging to take the enemy by surprise. Maybe there will be a couple of people flying around trying to be heroes. If they do well at it, then those that return will tell stories about what they did for a few weeks. If not, "There was some guy flying around but I think he was just showing off to the healers."

In everyday life, I think that people use magic all the time, but it's low-level stuff like pot-making magic, ploughing magic, pray-for-rain magic, rat-killing, cat-calling, etc., maybe every few years there will be a resurrection or the re-growing of a limb.

Phil.

--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?