Re: About the Battle of Night and Day

From: Daniel <von_das_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:29:49 -0000

I like Lokamayadon too, but I can't help but think that this sympathetic narrative might have come from Talastar or perhaps from the pen of a Lunarised north Orlanthi writer. :P Does Paulis Longvale write historical novels? Although, the style is somewhat different in any case.

I'm also fond of the contrast between Lokamayadon and Palangio as described there. Lokamayadon, coming from a clannish Orlanthi society, sees fit to empower his men. Palangio comes from a hierarchical society that celebrates individualism as long as it is within the rules and in one's proper place. Rather than make his men fight harder, he just makes himself huge. Somewhat symbolic of Dara Happa as a whole, perhaps.

My intuitive, rapid answer would be that Lokamayadon challenged Orlanth on the Storm God's own turf, seeking to replace him. But he was merely human, if very powerful and enlightened, and exposing himself like that had made him vulnerable to those favoured by and faithful to Orlanth. He aimed high and fell hard.