Re: About the Battle of Night and Day

From: Daniel <von_das_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:00:26 -0000

As a Russian I have to say that the sentiment of progress being sympathetic but sometimes volatile and dangerous and liable to bring about Chaos and bloody terror does not seem so exclusively Gloranthan... :P

That being said this is why Sartar (the man) is so impressive. He is a hero who could bring about Change without turning his back on Orlanthi traditions; indeed, he managed to give the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass an urban culture and the beginnings of civilisation (as it is usually understood) without taking away their freedom and what made them Orlanthi. I think he's the counterpoint to Lokamayadon, of sorts; Lokamayadon brings about forceful, reckless change out of personal ambition and with no respect for his culture, Sartar brings about subtle, negotiated transformations for the good of society as a whole and with Orlanthi cultural specifics in mind. Evil Revolutionary/Westerniser (or Northerniser as the case may be) vs. Good Native Reformer, if you will. :P