Re: Penguins in Glorantha

From: Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:08:52 +0000

>Other question Thay bugging me: do the ninja penguin keets have hang
>gliders? Not quite sure why this is lurking around the back of my mind.

That depends on who you believe, and/or how far Yelm's prohibition on flight extends. One version of the story says that the Durulz were cursed by Yelm never to be able to fly, and no form of flight can ever work if a Durulz is involved. Spells fail, balloons burst or just mysteriously sink, flying machines crash, and The Great Dragon To Come project failed because they let a Durulz join in. So if "gliding" is a form of flight, then the glider would plummet.

The Keets, however, believe that their flightlessness is a strain injury caused by them forming a giant chain holding on to each other to stop the East Isles from spreading apart. So are Keets affected by the curse that all flight will fail? I don't know.

Phil.

--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?