Re: PLEASE, PLEASE ADJUST HOW MUCH YOU QUOTE...

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:12:10 +0800

For any given annoying aspect of email, there are usually two possible solutions. 1) try to convince everybody else to change their email practices. This will sort of work temporarily. 2) get a better email client that minimises the effect of the problem. This will be annoying once, but works for a long time. (I use Apple Mail and it generally hides most of the quoted reply text so it doesn't bother me, for example)

(this is part of why I dislike forums, btw - when something is annoying, you have to try to convince someone else to change their software for a problem that they might not care about, which is much less likely to happen)

That said, yes, I think it is polite to only quote the part of previous messages that you are actually concerned with. If you are using Gmail, for example, select the part of the message that you are actually replying too before hitting reply.

Cheers

David