Re: Guide to Glorantha & the Hero Wars

From: Glass <glass_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:19:29 -0000

> As for the meta-plot issue, I don't see this as any different than setting
> a game in the 2nd Age, or the re-settlement of Dragon Pass, or Starbrow's
> Rebellion or whatever. No matter when your game takes place it exists in
> the middle of an ongoing history that you should feel free to change as
> needed. Personally, most of the HW related adventures I have run (my game
> is now in the early 1630s) are more focused on the limited area around the
> PCs and their immediate situation so it rarely winds up making that much
> difference either way. Cool background stuff, though.

I've also been waiting for this stuff for decades but as a backer, I'd beg against it for the Guide for two reasons:

  1. To be truly exciting, the Hero Wars have got to change the face of Glorantha as we know it, i.e., invalidate substantial material in the Guide itself. Let's get the Guide out there and (re)establish 1621 ST before we start ripping pages out because the Mostali attached their winch or whatever.
  2. As far as I can find out, the Hero Wars Campaign the sublime ostentalka mentioned is at a much earlier stage of development than the Guide and represents at least as vast an undertaking to complete. Putting even a "mind map" in the Guide at this point runs the risk of long-term gregging and short-term delays.

Unless I misread what Rick and Jeff are up to, this is far from the last chance we have to get this stuff on the table. The inner secrets of heroquesting can wait for the religion book. The future can wait for the campaign book -- and just maybe that's the place where we can participate.

That said, I still want to see Charg open in my lifetime.