Re: Whether to have metaplot or not (was Guide to Glorantha)

From: Jim G. <cainesinmyhead_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:43:22 -0700

Thanks Glass!

Over my own gaming/gm career I have found that players don't necessarily want a completely scripted or "high level/epic" adventure—but they do want to have a "meaningful" adventure.

(Side note: Though often by their nature a "high level/epic" adventure does suggest meaningful involvement. But I want to be clear that it doesn't HAVE to be in order to be meaningful. A skilled adventure author can make the low end very meaningful too)

On the flip side:
1.) Glorantha never was a generic fantasy setting. More many, but perhaps not all, part of the allure is the setting itself. One shouldn't be a slave to the setting, but there's nothing wrong in wanting to be authentic to it.

2.) HeroQuest is still a fairly new and unconventional system. Adventures that demonstrate its flexibility are welcome.

3.) I can see the sheer scope of some events being overwhelming to any one new, or just anyone unpracticed in trying to present them. For example: The battle of Whitewall. What the hell does that even look like? Off the top of my head I know there are Lunar spies, there's probably siege conditions, mass combat, interactions with King Bryon and Kallyr Starbrow, and then the Crimson Bat shows up at some point.. with the inevitable mass panic. If you give them something comparable to the Colymar Campaign (or the Coming Storm), then GMs start to see how these big event adventures are structured. I am confident there are some on this list that could pull that off just fine without any help. But I am equally sure there are quite a few who would actually welcome the guidance.

Anyway, I have rambled enough.