Re: what is animism?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:10:33 -0500

I don't know how well defined it has been outside of "Working with Spirits".

If you go with the Three Systems of Magic approach where there is more similarity within systems than within religions, then it appears the main thing it lets you do is negotiate with spirits known to your tradition, and get them to help you, usually by giving you boosts to certain skills or tasks.

A Shaman has the advantage of being able to negotiate with and/or fight spirits unknown to the tradition, and so they can end up with all sorts of weird powers.

You can bind spirits with animism, and use them for massive boosts if you release them. The problem is that it may be some time before the spirit comes back.

That's what little I recall from older HQ, but I prefer defining magic by way of the religion in question, rather than the three worlds thing.

--LC