Re: Historical population of Genertela

From: John Biles <john_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 20:00:32 -0600

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM, illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt_at_...> wrote:

> If you let me comment on your reasonable opinion...
> I am not sure about the definition of "warrior society". Orlanthi fyrd might be in the definition of such. In the description of Battle of Night and Day, all remaining Orlanthi clans sent all warriors to the battle. If 1percent of the total is right, whole of the southern Heortlingland contained around 400,000.

I would suspect that what was sent to the Battle of Night and Day were all the *thanes*, which is to say, full time warriors, they could find. Sending the fyrd a long way from home for something like this would be both hard to supply and those left behind would find it hard to function with most of the adult men a long way from home.