RE: Re: Historical population of Genertela

From: chris jensen romer <chrisjensenromer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:22:16 +0000

 I don't think we can use Earth equivalents at all easily here. Firstly, I seem to recall Greg saying no STD's in Glorantha, which made me think of disease. In Glornatha disease is caused by supernatural forces: a disease spirit passes from individual to individual, but does not as I understand it reproduce as viruses do. Glorantha's epedemiology will look really different to ours. Also there are effective ways to fight at least some of them vua shamnism, magic etc ,etc. However my biggest issue would be with child mortality. In the period post 1650 as the English population doubles we are seeing changes in land usage, rapid urbanisation, and then improved farming yields etc. However the increased urbanisation as I recall also saw a shocking rise in the already horrific rates of infant mortality, and mothers dying as a result of childbirth.

Glorantha has fertility magics in many cultures, agricultural magics, and many other confounding factors preventing a direct terrestrial analogy. I see more children living to reach reproductive age, and that would mean a 30 to 50% increase perhaps in our numbers. 2% COULD be sustainable, even when you take in to account kids eaten by trolls, carried off by Broo, or killed in fighting and initiations. The actual life expectancy of a Gloranthan may well be less than in our world: many horrendous dangers -- but they are going to effect largely I think those of the age to adfventure/join the fyrd/leave home -- and so many of them will have reached reproductive age.

I may be talking rubbish though.

cj x