Re: what is animism?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:07:32 +0800

One of the things that makes animism such fun is that its core magic is simply access to the spirit world - but there a huge number of different ways to deal with that world, just as there are a huge number of ways to deal with this one. And then a fascinating number of ways to deal with or exploit the various ways the two worlds can interact.

Spirit societies can deal with spirits by befriending them, by making deals with them, which could be informal arrangements or very specific contracts, by threatening them, by conquering or enslaving them, by herding them (not all spirits are smart), hunting them, by playing games with them (such as Kolati gambling games), etc. Some traditions prefer their attendant spirits in objects, some in animals, some in tattoos, etc.

I very much like that the RQ6 rules do a fairly good job of leaving the details of animism very open and up to individual traditions.

Cheers

David