Re: Hoplite combat styles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_YYFaFYs8RUBa1MxBwQwlNwwOMlseARLtRFibHF-JHAw8se18jhHiykaSexpDMgB8i7t>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:35:58 +1300

On 1/22/2013 12:09 AM, jorganos wrote:
> [The Ram People had] Flyers and skirmishers, heroic duels.

They had leapers but they didn't fly. Subsequent invaders flew.

> Which uses circles which have an additional runic/magical meaning.

The text is a bit strange. A circle is fine but the troops are then descried as being divided into four quarters each facing a different direction. Are they in a circle or not? Four circles? Using semi circles makes a bit more sense but it's no longer the Sun Rune.

> I see the Sun Stand as a defensive formation that presents nasty
> spears in every direction, fending off flyers as well as earthbound
> attackers attempting a hit and run. An outer rank with huge shields
> and inner ranks using two-handed spears to fend off and wound any
> attacker that comes into range sure sounds like something that would
> demoralize glory-drunk storm barbarians.

The Sunstand formation does not have shields. Later formations certainly did.

--Peter Metcalfe