The unholy trio

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_me.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 12:48:17 +0100

Peter, I was interested to read about the unholy trio and some of you conclusions:

On 20 Jul 2013, at 00:48, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz> wrote:

> The Unholy Trio myth (despite being reprinted in the Guide) strikes me
> as an Orlanthi "Just So" myth as to how Bad Things happened rather than
> an actual myth (one in which the Orlanthi actually see what is
> happening) of what happened.

You are separating Orlanthi into two types here actual and just so. Are their other myths that you would call just so myths? Is this a difference between what Orlanthi can do with the myth, they don't go and sit in on the plot between the unholy trio, that I understand, but they do fight the result.

> For starters, Wakboth appears in Orlanthi myth before his so-called birth.

I don't think this is unusual in the mythology of Glorantha, given that myths are timeless.

> and the Unholy Trio appears to be names given by the Orlanthi to the three prominent planets in the sky (which are elsewhere given different names - the Pamaltelans call them the three star witches).

Other than the name, why is that a conflict?

> Another issue is the strong disconnect between the myth of Malia as a scheming plotter against the Cosmos and the embodiment of a natural force

I was under the impression that the natural forces were personifications of godtime events, scheming plotter and disease spreader doesn't conflict too much in my mind.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433