Re: "Two Old Urbs" & Battle

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:03:21 -0400

On 28 May 2013, at 00:03, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz> wrote:

>> The map on p. 14 shows "Two Old Urbs" as a subject people.

> looking at the map of Lendarshic Pelanda (Entekosiad
> p88), there are three possible candidates:
> Uthenos, Hariij where the Hungry Ones live and Balovius.

Like Jeff said, things don't line up very well — as near as I can make it out, it's centered on Hariij. I guess Petela is the closest, so that's probably the other one. (After that, the order is Ulawar, Uthenos, Balovius, if there's some reason to exclude Petela.)

>> Also on this map is a battle, shown between the Bisosae and the Lendarshi. The obvious guess is that this is "Bull Stops Here," but that battle is said [Entekosiad p.87] to take place near Karantes in Naveria, and this symbol is actually on the Oronin River as near as I can tell — nowhere near Naveria.

> It may be the meeting in which Kiyargan appeared and tried to devour
> everybody (Ent. p87).

It would make sense that this was on a river.

>> Finally, what happened to this area with the "Rapid Expansion of Forest" by Khordavu's time [Fortunate Succession p.18]? It doesn't seem like the cattle folk suffered long term harm, but all Naveria appears wooded.

> Supposedly an Elvish War against the Horselords on behalf of the World
> Council. Also seen here:
>
> http://moondesignpublications.com/blog/jeff/historical-atlas-genertela-part-ii-first-age

Ah, I see Jeff answers Jörg, who asked much the same question.

Thanks!

David Dunham