Re: Blue Moon Sailors?

From: Robert Scott Martin glass_at_panix.com [WorldofGlorantha] <WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, hcarteau_at_free.fr wrote:

> I agree with Jamie, the Mistress of Tides (Blue Streak) is probably one
> of the Gods most sailors pray too, but do not intiate into her/its cult.
> Too weird, not practical enough. But then few sailors directly worship
> Magasta either.

Since "most sailors" is a tricky concept I wonder whether Dormal incorporates a bit of Blue Streak somewhere in its rite. The Holy Country was characterized as "tide-wracked" since early ads for MOLAD -- if anyone preserved a tradition of predicting or even manipulating tidal forces it would be the Choralinthor people.

Indeed, supposedly there was a Master of Tides in some drafts of MOLAD, which would indicate some level of blue moon knowledge in the region even if they're not one of the three major centers of the cult proper.

On the other hand, knowing the tide is useful when timing your passage in or out of port (or navigating a tidal river or hugging a coast) but not really crucial once you're crossing deep water...

...kind of like how the Dormal rite is only crucial when sailing out of port. It's not inconceivable that the Closing itself with its invisible walls pressing landward was a Blue Moon effect that Dormal figured out how to mitigate.

Her son Artmal "of course" has an obscure relationship with the Boat Planet that vanished.