Re: Bronze

From: Pomeroi pomeroi_at_mailfass.de [WorldofGlorantha] <WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 15:03:45 +0100

> How similar is Hu-Metal to Bronze?
> This kind of stems from a pub argument - discussing an old Pavis
> campaign, my old Humakt had a Bronze great sword blessed up to the hilt.
> One of my current gamers, a closet metallurgists believes any bronze
> weapon over 3' long would either bend or shatter to easily to be a
> reliable weapon.

In RW this would be true. Bronze is too soft to forge big slim things with stability. Weapons had to be rather short. For this reason the Greek never gave up their spears with wooden poles, even though they did produce bronze swords.

In Glorantha however, bronze is quite different. You can read in many sources, bronze can be found as pure metal (not an alloy), or both. The word bronze and names for other metals are used to indicate some similarity to RW counterparts, but they are not the same. Even in Glorantha, iron (steel) is much sturdier than bronze, but bronze is not as weak as we know it from RW.